Sunday, September 26, 2010

9/26 - IPOP visit - and a new learning experience for me

Left Hackerman for our visit to IPOP - last day to stay until our return visit next Saturday or Sunday (not sure yet).

Had 12:00 appointment at IPOP - we sat there for a bit - a long bit actually.  I went to ask someone if our nurse Mary knew if we were there or not.  Turns out that person was Mary - she was surprised to see us - said our appointment was for 1:30 - ugh - but she took us anyway (thank goodness).

Took Don's vitals and bloodwork.  My new experience began as this was teaching day for me to give Don his Neupogen shots.  Was I scared?  You bet I was.  I tried not to think about it all morning because the more I thought about it the more anxious I was becoming so I tried to stay calm.  Umm that didn't work.  Anyway - Mary was talking about the shots as if I had done this before.  I was talking to Don and was saying I wish I had SOMETHING to practice on rather than him for the first time.  Mary heard me and say hey I can find something to help you practice - BLESS YOU MARY!!!  She did set up something and I practiced.  Then it was time for the real deal.  My biggest concern was not knowing how hard to jab the needle in Don's stomach - yeah sounds nice doesn't it?  Don wasn't the least bit worried - he had more faith in me than I had in myself.  I prepared the area and went for it - Don didn't flinch a bit - he said it honestly didn't hurt which made me feel sooooo much better.  Mary seemed very impressed and of course I had a huge smile and let out a big sigh of relief.  It really was alot easier than I had thought but her training session helped me immensely!! 

We finished up in IPOP and headed home - honestly can't remember what time that was but I think around 1:30ish. 

We got home and let me tell you - we were two happy campers to see our road and our house - and this was just being away for 3 1/2 days. 

Unfortunately we had a phone call from Mary sometime in the afternoon.  She said they had gotten Don's bloodwork back and they were concerned about the results for the Sodium and Potassium counts so we need to make a return trip on Monday at noon so they can take more blood and check it to find out if they need to give him something or not.  Don seemed really down when he heard this but he knows it's just what we have to do and I'm thankful they want to recheck everything.  Have to make sure things go smoothly and right and we will do what we have to do.

So back tomorrow which is, by the way, our 35th wedding anniversary!! :):)

Until tomorrow.........

Don & Muffin

No comments:

Post a Comment