Friday, September 24, 2010

Catheter placement day - 9/24/10

Don was up at 7 - I wasn't such an early riser.  I was closer to 8:30.  Neither of us slept too well - the beds are definately not "our bed" - and yes I did say beds - we have "twin beds" - somebody goofed *L*.  Although when we came a few weeks ago they said we could push them together - no energy to do that last night, maybe tonight!!

Got to Johns Hopkins (which is across the street btw) - Blalock 5 for catheter placement.  Took Don back 10:30ish to prep him.  Had to hook up IV for medication - just enough to keep him in a comfort zone so he wouldn't be in pain for the placement.  I was instructed to come back by 12.  I just went to get coffee - text my kids - and just get more familiar with my surroundings so I knew where I was and didn't get lost trying to get back to Don. 

Returned by noon with coffee and bagel for Don - when I went into recovery he looked great - said he felt fine just a little groggy which was to be expected.  His vitals were being monitored constantly - everthing was fine so they let us go from there.  Over to the other building we went.  Got more coffee and just waited for our 2:00 appointment in IPOP which stands for In Patient Out Patient.

While at IPOP I had to put clean dressing over the catheter and do a flushing of the lines.  I was nervous as heck - the tape they put on was stuck on Don's skin and I just didn't want to hurt him taking it off - he kept saying "I'm fine I'm fine" but I wasn't so sure.  Being my first time I was just a bit worried about hurting him and making sure I was doing all the steps correctly - it will definately get easier the more I do it.

Back to our place by 3 - had lunch and now just relaxing.  Don is on his computer and I'm blogging and have bills to pay in a bit - OH BOY!!

Hope we both sleep a bit better tonight - it's going to be a long day tomorrow.

Don and are both doing okay - just a bit tired and just preparing ourselves for the days ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment