Thursday, November 18, 2010

11/18 - Catching up!

Didn’t realize it had been 3 days, well almost, since my last blog.  Thought I would get you all caught up with us J.  Trying to think back 2 days ago – those that reallllly know me know I can’t remember what I did hours ago much less 2 days ago *L*.   You think I’m kidding?  Ask anyone!! 
I left you on a Monday – Tuesday as I remember was another day of Don getting a little better day by day.  I honestly think at this point in time it’s going to take longer than either of us imagined .  He is getting stronger each day but he is far from doing the things he used to do strength wise.  He tires easily and that will take a lot of time to build his body up to where it was before all of this.  We KNOW he will – we just don’t know when.  I guess we just can’t put a date on that one.
Today was our visit at John’s Hopkins.  We left Wednesday around 4ish.  Lucky me got to drive up to Baltimore for the first time.  Oh boy.  I tried not to think about it Wednesday morning but as the time got closer I could feel the nerves coming.  I know, no big deal a lot of you might say to yourself.  Well for me it was a big deal cause I only drive when I have to – to work – home from work.  Yep that is pretty much IT for me *L*.  Don drives us everywhere!!  And I mean everywhere!!   Anyway – headed up to Baltimore.  Our FIRST mistake was not leaving sooner before dark came.   It was dark by the time we got on Pratt Street.   We couldn’t see where our hotel was – great haha!!  We didn’t bring the GPS which would have told us EXACTLY where it was and Don didn’t have his regular glasses – just his sunny’s!!  FUN FUN FUN!!  We found it fine but of course I was a little testy by the time we got there *L*.  Parked fine and got checked in – beautiful room!!
This brings us to today – going to post what I emailed the kids today:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back home now - what a trip.  Last night wasn't too too bad.  Should have left earlier though - as we got onto Pratt Street we didn't know where the hotel was - and it was dark.  Dad didn't have his regular glasses so that was pretty interesting.  We found it though and parking was easy.  Room was so nice - just kinda dropped everything on the bed and headed out to dinner - it was good but the cheesecake was the best part haha.

Got up this morning and headed to JH - that was really easy too.  Time wise everything was going pretty much on schedule. Dad was called back to get his blood work done.  I was called back which I thought was unusual.  I didn't know at the time what was going on.  When the lady went to take Dad's blood she was having hard time getting any blood out of the catheter.  Dad at that point became very dizzy and left side was super weak.  She, of course, stopped immediately and got someone to help him to lie down on a cot.  We're not sure what happened but the Nurse Practitioner said it could have been because of the flushes the lady taking the blood was doing (she couldn't get the blood out and was flushing to try and unclog the blockage if there was one) or the direction of the tube in Dad's neck could have changed cutting the blood supply to his head - it was a scary time for Dad and I wasn't in there with him :(.  When they called me back Dad was visibly shaken up.  They did take blood but just took it out of his arm.  He laid there for awhile and Amy (NP) said the location of the catheter removal was changed from where we were to upstairs in Blalock 5.  So up we went - Dad had to use the wheelchair - they surely didn't want him to walk.  Got up stairs and had to wait for a bit.  They called Dad back and it was probably within a half hour they called me back and he was done and we were on our way.

Drive home was a breeze except for 2 idiots in Baltimore honking at me - still can't figure out why haha - I think folks in Baltimore just have a thing about honking their horns!!

We stopped at Burger King on the way home - Dad wanted a whopper Jr.  We just sat and ate in the car.  Stopped at 7-11 and now Dad is home with his heating pad and just happy to be home!!
Don is doing well this evening – I think today’s events are still fresh in his mind.  We just can’t help wondering what really happened today?  We would like to believe it was just a strange turn of events with the catheter – we really WANT to believe this.  It still just makes us wonder.
Keep the prayers coming – we need and appreciate them all!
Until next time…….
Love you all!
Don & Muffin

No comments:

Post a Comment