Thursday, November 4, 2010

11/4 - IPOP

Don did sleep better last night – 6 hours one time – 3 hours another – that’s the most in awhile.  He still needs medication to help but that’s okay – hopefully when he gets home he won’t need anything.
9:00 a.m. –Nurse Kathy temp take, blood work, weight, blood pressure – as soon as blood pressure was taken he was hooked up for hydration.  There’s no explanation yet as to why his goes down .  They take it in a sitting position and then standing.  It’s when he stands it goes down.
We saw Nurse Practitioner Mindy – she asked the normal questions.  As soon as they see and talk to Don it’s clear to them that something is not right – something is going on.  She suspects there is an infection somewhere so she ordered more blood to be drawn and wanted a urine sample.   Dr. Kassemon also came to see Don.  She said it was possible the steroid level was low so wanted this run as part of the testing of the blood.  She also made the statement if the white blood count is too high that could indicate a sign of infection – confusing to me – I thought the higher the better.  Back to the steroids for a minute.  The injected a small dosage of steroids to see the body’s response to them and to see how his adrenal system was working.  They waited half hour after this and drew more blood.  Tests results came back – steroid and hormone levels were fine.  No problem there; and urine sample showed nothing either.  They will repeat CT Scan on Monday – Don has some small spots on his lungs they have been monitoring – the want to have another scan just to recheck them again.  They honestly feel there is nothing to be concerned with – it’s just a check.
This all is leaving the doctors just wondering.  At this time they can’t find infection anywhere – thus no one can explain why Don feels the way he feels.  I think they want to say it’s due to stem cell transplant, the melphalan (high dose chemo he got prior to transplant) and the 8-day stay in the hospital which totally kicked his butt.  I guess being in the medical profession they HAVE to come up with a medical reason for everything.  I’m inclined to think it’ for those reasons I stated but then again – if these symptoms now were totally normal then why can’t they just come out and say it?   Not sure what other tests they can possibly take to find out a medical reason but I guess they’re not finished yet trying to find the reason.  I guess tomorrow we get to see what they come up with.  I’m very curious.  All I know is he is miserable and I’m miserable seeing him like this and feeling helpless in the meantime because I can’t help him and make him feel better.  Not a good position to be in.
We did have a Discharge Class today – normally I would have been beside myself with excitement because you normally don’t have this class unless your time is due to end in IPOP and that means you would be going home SOON.  But – we had to have the class – it’s just part of the routine.  And they get to check it off their to do list.  I know they won’t be releasing Don until they find out what is going on – I pray that time comes soon.
1:30 – We left IPOP – Don rested a bit when we got back – not for long – I wanted him to eat a bite of something.  He ate a little and laid down as Mark and Brina came to visit.  They brought us some great chicken soup and tacos and a few other things.  It was wonderful to see them – We miss our family terribly.
Almost 8 p.m. - Don is resting again – will get him up soon to have something to eat.  I don’t know what tomorrow brings.  I honestly don’t – just pray he feels better.  Pray for the doctors as well.  I know they are trying.
Keep the prayers coming – we need and appreciate them all.
Until tomorrow…….
Love you all!
Don & Muffin

No comments:

Post a Comment