Tuesday, October 19, 2010

10/19 - Count checks

2:00 p.m. – Appointment in HIPOP – Nurse Heather
We had Nurse Heather but Nurse Brenda took Don’s weight, temp, blood work and blood pressure.  Apparently they take BP when sitting and then while standing.  While standing Don’s BP went lower than they liked so they gave him hydration for 1 hour.  His potassium levels were also lower than they like so they gave him this also – during the same time.  Nurse Heather asked the normal questions – how he was feeling? Sleeping? Eating? Bowels? Checked his breathing.  Because of his diarrhea they had Don collect a sample yesterday for culturing today – those results were not in today so tomorrow.  Nurse Practitioner Kelly said having diarrhea takes a lot of potassium out of your system so this could explain why his was low.  Once the culture comes back tomorrow and she feels it will be okay – she will prescribe Imodium to help for his diarrhea but couldn’t because it didn’t come back today.  She did give us some suggestions for eating until this goes away – which we hope it does and soon.  It’s called BRATT – bananas, rice, applesauce, toast and tea (ginger or peppermint but can be regular tea).
We were done by 4:20 and on our way back.  Mark and Sabrina were waiting for us at the building.  They brought Don a new fleece which he loved, some magazines, Gatorade and a few other things.  Because of the blood work today and one of the counts hitting “0” – which we knew was going to happen and was totally expecting to happen – it was decided they wouldn’t see Don and would wait until the #’s started going up - Don went up to the room and I spent some time with them.  We had a free dinner in the kitchen here at the building and we sat and talked for awhile.  I did feel awful that Don couldn’t visit but we decided it was just safer this way since his counts are down.   He was happy that I could visit with them and kept telling me to take my time and don’t rush.  They were on their way after about an hour I think – maybe a little more (but not long enough for me but I wanted to get back up to Don) – but it was a great visit and I felt better (much better) after seeing them.  It was just one of those days that I NEEDED this.
Unfortunately until his #’s start coming up we won’t be able to have visitors – but I will surely let everyone know when that is possible and we are so hoping it is soon!!
I fixed Don a light dinner – he managed okay.  It’s getting hard and harder for me to nag him about eating because I know he just doesn’t want it – oh did I say nag? *L*. 
Well he’s going to rest now and I’m going to get this posted. 
Please keep the prayers coming – we appreciate them all!
Until tomorrow……..
Love you all!
Don & Muffin

No comments:

Post a Comment